Tower Houses usually referred to as ‘castles’ are basically fortified residences of the Irish and Anglo Irish gentry living in the area from the middle of the 15th Century. There are an estimated 253 examples of such buildings to be found in Co. Tipperary. By the year 1654 over half of these buildings were no longer inhabited and most of them in ruin beyond repair. There was a remarkably high castle in the town land  of Ballyhaugh  in Aglish, which was blown down on the night of the big wind, January 6th 1839 . It stood on a meadowy ground close to a bog. The castle is mentioned in the Annals of the Four Master, 1599, where it was written Baile-Ui-Eachdhach, meaning the town of O’ Haugh. The record of occupancy runs as follows: 1599, O’ Kennedy Finn, Anthoney, the son of Donogh Oge who was the son of O’ Haugh, who was the son of Auliffe from Baile-Ui-Eachdhach in Lower Ormond  died in November. In 1646 the castle was given to Nicholas White. The Irish family named Hough is the modern name of the name Eachdhach.